You are here
Dr. Gerald Arthur
Having observed the remarkable evolution of biomedical knowledge throughout my extended career in medicine, I am totally convinced that our domain is now entering a period of even more rapid change due to the new, disruptive, paradigm of personalized medicine. Entirely new methods of disease classification and treatment are being developed through intense examination of genomes of the entire biosphere. It is evident that the curation and provision of normal and diseased human disease for a broad array of experimental procedures constitutes a vital link in this process. As Medical Director of the OneHealth Biorepository at the University of Missouri, I am delighted to be making some small contribution to this very exciting task.
Positions and Employment
1969 - 1970 Rotating Internship, University of Oregon School of Medicine
1970 - 1972 Medical Residency, University of Oregon School of Medicine (not completed)
1972 - 1976 Anatomic and Clinical Pathology Residency, Dartmouth Medical School
1976 - 1978 Associate Pathologist, Pathology Labs Inc., Lancaster, NH
1978 - 2004 Pathologist, Boyce and Bynum Pathology Laboratories Inc., Columbia, MO
2004 - 2007 National Library of Medicine Post-Doctoral Fellow in Biomedical Informatics,
NLM Biomedical and Health Informatics Research Training Grant, University of Missouri. Columbia, MO
2007 - Present Research Assistant Professor of Pathology and Anatomical Sciences University of Missouri School of Medicine
November 1977 American Board of Pathology - Anatomic and Clinical Pathology
November 1989 American Board of Pathology - Cytopathology
June 1992 American Board of Pathology – Hematopathology
October 2013 American Board of Pathology – Clinical Informatics
College of American Pathologists
International Society for Computational Biology
American Medical Informatics Association
Association for Pathology Informatics
Current Research Support
7/1/12 - 6/30/15
Wallace H. Coulter Foundation: Coulter Translational Partnership Award for the development of EGFR-Sure, an epidermal growth factor receptor detection reagent.
Role: Co-PI with Raghuraman Kannan, PhD, Dept. of Radiology
Previous Research Support
8/15/2008 - 8/14/2011
National Science Foundation / Information Integration and Informatics (Chi-Ren Shyu, PI)
III-COR - Small: Searchable and Shareable Visually Observed Knowledge Base
Goal: The overall goal of this project is to develop a computer-assisted image interpretation knowledge base for the analysis, interpretation, indexing, and retrieval of histopathology specimens for the primary purpose of enhancing transmission of visual knowledge in an educational setting.
11/1/2011 - 10/31/2014
International Serious Adverse Events Consortium, Ltd.: Genomics-Based Investigation of Drug-Induced Liver Injury.
Goal: This project is collecting Genome Wide Association Studies data from patients suffering severe liver injury as a result of exposure to therapeutic drugs.
Informatics PhD Committee Member for:
Dima Shin (awarded PhD, December, 2012)
Jia-Fu Chang, Comprehensive Exam successfully completed, March, 2013
Marius Petruc, MD
Keila Pena-Hernandez, BS, MT
Blake Anderson, BS
Nathan Johnson, MS
MS Committee Member for:
Melanie Spoor, DVM (awarded MS in pathobiology, June 2012)
1.OntoQuest: a physician decision support system based on ontological queries of the hospital database. Popescu M, Arthur G. AMIA Annual Symp Proc 2006:639-43.
2.Sjahputera O, Keller JM, Davis JW, Taylor KH, Rahmatpanah F, Shi H, Anderson DT, Blisard SN, Luke RH, Popescu M, Arthur GL, Caldwell CW. Relational analysis of CpG islands methylation and gene expression in human lymphomas using possibilistic C-means clustering and modified cluster fuzzy density. IEEE/ACM Trans Comput Biol Bioinform. 2007 Apr-Jun;4(2):176-89.
3.Taylor KH, Pena-Hernandez KE, Davis JW, Arthur GL, Duff DJ, Shi H, Rahmatpanah FB, Sjahputera O, Caldwell CW. Large-scale CpG methylation analysis identifies novel candidate genes and reveals methylation hotspots in acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer Res. 2007 Mar 15;67(6):2617-25.
4.Bennett LB, Schnabel JL, Kelchen JM, Taylor KH, Guo J, Arthur GL, Papageorgio CN, Shi H, Caldwell CW. DNA hypermethylation accompanied by transcriptional repression in follicular lymphoma. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 2009 Sep:48(9):828-41.
5.Arthur GL, Popescu M, Gong Y, Caldwell CW. A Fuzzy Logic-based Decision Support System for the Pathologic Diagnosis of Small B-cell Lymphomas. Proceedings of the Annual Symposium, Nov 2009:765.
6.Rahmatpanah FB, Carstens S, Hooshmand SI, Welsh EC, Sjahputera O, Taylor KH, Bennett LB, Shi H, Davis JW, Arthur GL, Shanafelt TD, Kay NE, Wooldridge JE, Caldwell DW. Large-scale analysis of DNA methylation in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. 2009 Epigenomics 1(1): 39-61.
7.Bryan JN, Jabbes M, Berent LM, Arthur GL, Taylor KH, Rissetto KC, Henry CJ, Rahmatpanah F, Rankin WV, Villamil JA, Lewis MR, Caldwell CW. Hypermethylation of the DLC1 CpG island does not alter gene expression in canine lymphoma. 2009 BMC Genetics 10:73.
8.Bennett LB, Taylor KH, Arthur GL, Rahmatpanah FB, Hooshmand SI and Caldwell CW. Epigenetic regulation of WNT signaling in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. 2010 Epigenomics 2(1):53-70.
9. Mihail Popescu, Gerald Arthur, Farahnaz Rahmatpanah, Ozy Sjahputera, Huidong Shi and Charles W. Caldwell. A minimum classification error framework suitable for multicriteria gene selection: discovery of differentially methylated genes in small B-cell lymphomas. 2010. Int. J. Comput. Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Systems Biology, Vol. 1, No. 3, 274-296.
10. Arthur GL, Taylor KH, Bennett LB and Caldwell CW. Computational analysis of restriction enzyme recognition sites in the research design process. American Medical Informatics Association Summit on Translational Bioinformatics, March 2010.
11. Chang JF, Arthur G, Shyu C. Mining Syntactic Structure in Biomedical Literature for Validation and Discovery of Interactions in the Wnt Signaling Pathway. American Medical Informatics Association Annual Symposium, Washington, D.C., Nov 2010.
12. Shin D, Arthur G, Shyu CR. An Entropy Based Probabilistic Framework to Optimize Immunohistochemical Studies in Digital Pathology Setting. American Medical Informatics Association Annual Symposium, Washington, D.C., Nov 2010 p1255.
13. Han JG, Shin D, Arthur G, Shyu CR. Multi-Resolution Tile-Based Follicle Detection using Color and Textural Information of Follicular Lymphoma IHC Slides. IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics & Biomedicine, Hong Kong, China, December 2010.
14. Can promoter methylation in peripheral blood cells predict the development of cancer? Arthur GL, Caldwell CW. Epigenomics. 2011 Apr:3(2):141-2.
15. Methylation of CD44 as a candidate biomarker in lymphomas. Arthur GL, Caldwell CW. Epigenomics. 2011 Apr;3 (2):142-3.
16. DNA hypomethylation in a spectrum of plasma cell disorders. Arthur GL, Caldwell CW. Epigenomics. 2011 Apr;3(2):143-4.
17. Dmitriy Shin, Gerald Arthur, Charles Caldwell, Mihail Popescu, Marius Petruc, Alberto Diaz-Arias, Chi- Ren Shyu. A pathologist-in-the-loop IHC antibody test selection using the entropy-based probabilistic method. J Pathol Inform, Feb 2012;3:1.
18. Pei L, Choi JH, Liu J, Lee EJ, McCarthy B, Wilson JM, Speir E, Awan F, Tae H, Arthur G, Schnabel JL, Taylor KH, Wang X, Xu D, Ding HF, Munn DH, Caldwell C, Shi H. Genome-wide DNA methylation analysis reveals novel epigenetic changes in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Epigenetics, 2012 Jun 1;7(6).
19. Jia-Fu Chang, Mihail Popescu, Gerald L. Arthur. Automated extraction of precise protein expression patterns in lymphoma by text mining abstracts of immunohistochemical studies. J Pathol Inform, July
20. Dmitriy Shin, Gerald Arthur, Mihail Popescu, Dimitry Korkin, Chi-Ren Shyu. Uncovering influence links in molecular knowledge networks to streamline personalized medicine. Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 2014 (In press)